I am only on year two of shopping for a toddler, so I am by no means an expert, but there are a few things I have learned with each new season. If you are a new parent, you will quickly find out shopping for a toddler or child is definitely seasonal, and it’s usually a complete overhaul. This is completely different than shopping for an adult unless you are lucky enough to get a completely new wardrobe with every season.
There is a catch 22 with this situation because who wants to spend 1000’s of dollars on a new wardrobe, but I also want my kids to look cute. I have two kids now and unfortunately Chloe’s clothes are not always going to work for McNeal.
Introducing the capsule wardrobe, which I usually always use for trips, but it definitely applies here. Here is an example of what I am talking about:
1 Shirt, 4 outfits. I make sure that I keep everything in the same color palette so things can be interchangeable. I usually have either all white tops in the summer and black in the winter. If it’s a pattern it has to have all of the colors to work with everything.
Now for the fun part, where do I get all of these clothes and whats my strategy.
- Old Navy is my go to for colored jeans
- I am guilty of purchasing one nice pair of blue jeans from Nordstrom annually, I usually purchase one size up to ensure she will be in them all year.
- Amazon’s children’s clothes are great (top in the above pic is from there) I do find that you have to search a bit more, but I’m particular on the style I’m looking for. If you find one item you like, you can search the similar items and it usually follows that style item.
- Native shoes in spring summer and fall are a must (easy to clean and durable.
- Dress shoe Amazon or Chu’s are my favorite
- Sneakers-Converse in Fall & Winter
- Boots we have purchased from H&M who also has great kids clothes at a good price.
All in all this encompasses the basic everyday wardrobe, but of course there are a few other places I monitor for sales or clothes we can’t miss out on.
Where do you get your children’s clothes? If anyone has tips on boy clothes I would love them!