If you think about it, your closet is really the foundational start to every single day. If you start your day in chaos, then couldn’t that potentially seep into the rest of your day? For me, starting the day, with a clean closet, and knowing where all my stuff is, gets me going in the right direction. There is nothing more frustrating than running around looking for something.
Everything has a place in my closet, and now that I have it set-up correctly, it stays that way.
Prior to organizing my closet, the biggest challenge was the act of simply hanging up clothes, walking them all the way to the laundry room, or putting up shoes. This probably sounds familiar because these are easy patterns to fall into. Especially when we were on the go constantly before Covid.
I truly believe keeping a clean and organized closet is a mindset, and can be made easier by repetitive actions and behaviors. Here are some tips and tricks to a clean closet that I have used.
Steps to a Clean and Organized Closet
- Organize your hanging closet into sections
- Tops, pants, skirts, dresses, jackets
- Rainbow each section
- Just do it, it will be the most satisfying thing you have ever done-well maybe not ever, but trust me it’s worth it
- Rainbow tip: ROYGBIV (remember this from elementary school?) Use it to color code to the rainbow.
- For your Folding Section of sweaters, sweatshirts, shirts use these separators:
4. Organize your shoes using these boxes:
5. Keep a Laundry Basket in your closet or near your closet:
6. Hang up your clothes every time you take them off, don’t let yourself pull out an excuse.